Friday, May 1, 2015

The Suffering Christian part 2: Dealing with Trials

As the title suggests, in this article I'm going to continue discussing the topic of suffering, this time focusing on how we can learn from suffering, and practical ways to deal with it. As with so many things, there is no magic formula, but I will share some things that I have found helpful in my experience. More importantly, I'll share some principles straight from Scripture. I'll assume that you understand why suffering happens and that you have an idea of how your situation fits into the 'big picture'. If not, I refer you back to my previous article when I discuss the question of “why?”. Make sure you get that part settled in your mind. It's difficult to move forward and heal without understanding why things are happening as they are.

Learning from suffering
You're probably familiar with several verses that mention having joy during trials, James 1:2 being one of them. James then goes on to say in verse 4, “let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.” In other words, let your trial teach you patience and let it run its course. Don't wimp out before your trial is done, or you'll miss something. James then says to ask God for wisdom if you lack it (v.5). God will help you understand your trial and to learn whatever it is you need to learn. You should come out wiser in the end.

Trials and suffering should also produce hope (Rom. 5:3-5). As you experience trials and suffering, you will also experience God guiding you through these things, and as you come through the trial, you will experience the “love of God shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us”. As you experience these things it gives a greater degree of certainty to your faith, and strengthens your hope in the resurrection. Similarly, 1 Peter 1:7 talks about trials refining our faith to a greater degree.

Now, let me give a bit of advice from my own experiences. Stay in Scripture. Not only will it help you learn from your trial, it will keep you encouraged, and give you perspective. Do whatever you can to keep the Bible in your mind. If you have difficulty reading or concentrating, listen to an audio Bible. I can say from my current struggles with sickness, there are days that my symptoms prevent me from reading much if at all. Audio Bibles are a great tool for times like those. We live in a privileged age. Whatever your situation, you can almost certainly find a tool to help you stay in the Bible.

A quick word on audio Bibles...they can get you into trouble just as much as any corrupt Bible text, so be careful. You don't want the reader to add characterization/tone to the passage. Adding an angry voice where it doesn't belong or making Jesus sound like a sissy little girl is just as bad as changing the words themselves. Find an audio Bible where the reader maintains a mostly neutral tone of voice. Also pay attention to if the reader is following punctuation. Again, adding or removing pauses in a sentence can alter the meaning. If you're planning to use an audio Bible and have found one you think you like, I recommend that you do a dry run, following along in your Bible to make sure that the reader isn't messing with the text through tone/pauses, etc. Again, audio Bibles are a great tool, just be cautious. They're not a substitute for Bible reading, but can be a great help if you're having trouble reading.

Practical advice to get through trials
The best advice that I can give to anyone struggling with a trial is to focus on others as best as you can. It sounds strange I know. When you're sick, you just want other people to take care of you, right? That's fine, and there's nothing wrong with accepting help, but you should also never cease to try to help and serve others (Phil. 2:3-5). In practice, this will help by forcing you to take your mind off your own situation. Instead, you'll be thinking about others, or about serving God and the glory to come, or about the plight of those around you still lost in their sins. It puts things in perspective doesn't it? Who is worse off; the Christian whose suffering, no matter how severe, is only temporary, or the lost sinner who might be fine now, but will suffer an eternity in hell unless they repent? So, fight through your trial and help someone. Encourage a fellow Christian, give the gospel to a lost person, etc. Just find something productive to do, even if it's small.

On a similar note, it's important to be flexible. Especially if you're going through an illness, you may not be able to work/serve in the same capacity that you used to. Maybe you used to hand out 100 tracts every week, but now you can only do 10. Or maybe you can't get out at all, so you start mailing tracts to people. Whatever the case, don't let it get you down, just keep being faithful as you are able. As a friend of mine says, “do what you can, don't do what you can't”.

I'll also say, don't give up on asking the Lord for strength to serve. He may provide some special opportunities. I'll briefly share an example in my life. After I started to struggle with illness, there was a major event at the local campus which was always a great evangelistic opportunity each year. I really wanted to go, but knew there was no chance I'd make it, even on a good day. I prayed, telling God how much I wanted to do this, and begging Him for strength. I prepared for the event and was ready to go. The day of the event, I had an amazing amount of energy and my symptoms were almost non-existent. Not only was I able to make it, but I handed out even more tracts than I had in previous years. Almost immediately after I was done, the energy faded and my symptoms returned, but I was so thankful that God had allowed me that time.

Now, I want to switch gears a bit and talk about grief, sorrow, and mourning. These emotions are absolutely appropriate, especially if you've lost a loved one. Be patient with people who don't understand. Some will say “just cheer up”. Help them to understand to “weep with them that weep” (Rom. 12:15). Though we might mourn, it should not be in the same manner as the world. They have no hope, but we have the hope of the resurrection (1 Thess. 4:13-18). As stated in v.18, we should comfort each other with these facts.

Although grief and mourning are appropriate, they can turn into self-pity which is rooted in selfishness and is a sin. How can you tell if you have appropriate grief or sinful self-pity? Do some self-examination. Ask yourself, “Am I upset because of the situation and/or because I miss my loved one, or am I upset because something bad happened to me?” In other words, are you upset about what happened, or are you upset about how it affected you? Analyze the kinds of thoughts and emotions you have about the situation. If you find yourself repeatedly saying “I” or “me”, you've probably crossed the line and need to repent of your selfishness. Maybe you are grieving as though there's no hope. If so, repent of your lack of faith, and ask God to help you trust more in his promises. Do some study on the resurrection, second coming, and heaven.

One final suggestion: be honest in prayer. So many people have what I call “Sunday school syndrome”. Just like in Sunday school, you give the right answer even though it may not be what you really think or feel. If you're angry, don't just push it aside because you know anger is wrong, but bring it to the Lord. Confess your anger and ask the Lord for patience. Maybe your situation has you questioning what God is doing, or it doesn't seem fair. Don't accuse God of unrighteousness, but bring your concerns to Him humbly (see Jer. 12, Gen. 18:23-33).

Conclusion
When you find yourself in the midst of a trial, learn everything you can from it. Stay connected to God through Scripture and learn to trust more in his promises. Allow your suffering to cause you to look forward to the glory to come with even greater hope. Continue to encourage your brothers and sisters and preach the gospel as best as you can. If you find yourself unable to serve in the same way that you have in the past, be creative about ways to reach out to others with the gospel. Don't drop out of the war for souls just because you have some battle scars!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Kyle. Though I've not faced what you are currently facing nor have I faced anything as tough, I too have been learning much about trials and my response in them. I just had a tonsillectomy this morning and will be in some decent pain for a while. I'll remember your exhortations as I heal.

    ReplyDelete